About the Department
The Department of Mechanical Engineering is established in the year 1984. The department has qualified and experienced faculty members with industrial and research backgrounds to achieve excellence in academic and research activities. NBA has accredited the department since 2000, and presently accredited under the Tier – I category. The department is recognized as a Research Centre by Anna University, Chennai. The department has fetched research projects worth Rs. 1.72 crores from various agencies such as DST, BRNS and AICTE etc,. The department has 12 Ph.D qualified faculty members and all of them are recognized as Research Supervisors by Anna University Chennai. So far, 35 Scholars have completed their PhD from Research Center, and 12 scholars are currently doing research. The CDIO lab has been established in the department in 2016 for new product development activities. More than 36 products were developed, among which five were commercialized. The department has published five Patents and twelve under process.
- Producing globally competitive Mechanical Engineers with social responsibilities.
- Imparting quality education by providing excellent Teaching-Learning environment.
- Inculcating qualities of continuous learning, professionalism, team spirit, communication skill and leadership with social responsibilities.
- Promoting leading-edge research and development through collaboration with academia and industry.
- Thirty-eight years old well established department.
- Accredited by NBA since 2000 and under Tier – I from 2016.
- Anna University has been recognized as Research Centre for pursuing a PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering since 2006.
- Research supervisors for guiding PhD- research scholar.
- Quality Academic Research and Publications in reputed Journals.
- Reviewers in various reputed International Journals and Books.
- Consistent Placement Records.
- Industry Interaction through MOU / Industry Know-How / Internships.
- Well Established Alumni Network.
- State Art Laboratory for Research works in Composite Materials and Renewable energy.
- Highly Qualified Faculty members with Good Retention.
UG – Year of Establishment – 1984
Student Strength – 60
PG – Year of Establishment – 2004
Student Strength – 6
PhD – Year of Establishment – 2006
Full-time – 2
Part-time – 10
Awarded – 35
Faculty (List with Vidwan link)
|S.No||Name of Faculty||Designation||Vidwan ID||Profile URL IDvidwan portal|
|1||Dr K.Manisekar||Professor& Head||286307||https://vidwan.inflibnet.ac.in/profile/286307|
|2||Dr Iyah Raja.S.||Professor||211414||https://vidwan.inflibnet.ac.in/profile/211414|
|4||Dr Harichandran. R.||Professor||286954||https://vidwan.inflibnet.ac.in/profile/286954|
|6||Dr Ramanan. P||Asst.Professor (SG)||289020||https://vidwan.inflibnet.ac.in/profile/289020|
|7||Dr Sankar. I||Asst.Professor (SG)||286245||https://vidwan.inflibnet.ac.in/profile/286245|
|8||Dr Vigneshkumar.D||Asst.Professor (SG)||286920||https://vidwan.inflibnet.ac.in/profile/286920|
|9||Dr Michael Thomas Rex. F||Asst.Professor (SG)||286417||https://vidwan.inflibnet.ac.in/profile/286417|
|wdt_ID||Publications (NOs)||Patents Published||Patents Granted||Funded Projects (Rs)||Consultancy (Rs)||MoUs|
|1||129 (Last five years)||19||5||₹1.72Crores||₹ 5.22 Lakhs||4|
Special Laboratories Facilities (Related to Research)
R&D –Advanced Engineering Materials Lab
- Tensile Elongation Testing Machine(5 Ton)
- Ultrasonic Probe Sonicator
- Modern Hydraulic Compression Moulding Machine (70 Ton)
- Wear and Friction Monitor (Model ED-201)
- High-Temperature Tubular Furnace (DST-FIST) ) – 1 No
- Thermogravimetric Analyzer (DST-FIST) ) – 1 No
- Impact Testing Machine
- Ultrasonic Sonicator for Aluminium and Magnesium melt Processing
- Casting Furnace (1000oC)
- Computerized Tribometer Pin-on-disc with Environment Chamber ) – 1 No
- High Temperature Bottom Pouring Furnace (1200°C) ) – 1 No
- Olympus model GX51 Inverted Metallurgical Microscope
- Lever arm Computerized Creep/Stress rupture testing Machine
- Muffle Furnace (1600oC)
Welding Research Lab
- OTC Daihen digital inverter MIG/MAG welding machine
- OTC Daihen digital inverter DC pulse TIG welding machine
- Linear movement welding equipment
Digital Fabrication Laboratory
- CNC milling machine-Milltap-700
- CNC Turning machine-Sprint 16TC
- MTAB- Denford starmill-ATC-3 Axis CNC bench Milling machine
- XL Turn CNC Trainer Lathe
- 3-D Co-ordinate Measuring Machine
Advanced Computing Laboratory
- 1 KW OFF-Grid Solar PV Power plant with inverter
- Solar Radiation Meter
- Solar Simulator
- Solar Still-inclined, basin, semi-cylindrical, flash evaporation desalination
- Solar Water heater Test rig
- Solar Drier
Non-Destructive Testing Lab
- Liquid Penetrant Test
- Magnetic Particle Test
- Radiography Test
- Ultrasonic Test
- Vibration Measuring and Analyses Equipment
- Vibration Absorber
- FFT Analyzer
Product Development Lab
Strength of Materials Lab
- Diffusion bonding equipment with a hydraulic press and hot Furnace
- Compression testing machine (200 Ton)
- Universal testing machine 100 Ton
- Computerized UTM of 60 Ton capacity
- Brinell cum Rockwell Hardness Testing machine (Model: MRB-250)
Metrology and Measurements Lab
- Mitutoyo Make Portable Surface Roughness Tester
- Computerized Thermocouple Data logging system
Thermal Engineering Laboratory
Head of the Department,
Department of Mechanical Engineering,
National Engineering College (Autonomous)
K.R.Nagar, Kovilpatti, Thoothukudi (Dt) – 628503
Contact mail id: email@example.com