Academic course plan
After the subject allocation, course planning is to be finalized in course committee with course instructors well in advance before the start of semester by referring previous year documents. Minutes of the meeting should be recorded properly.
If necessary, appropriate corrections on course outcome statements and blooms levels may be carried out in the course committee meeting, record it in the minutes and communicated to Dean (Academics) and Controller of Examination through HOD and the Principal.
Guidelines for preparing the course planning
- Based on the Bloom’s taxonomy level of the course outcomes, content delivery methods to be chosen.
- Course outcomes with the level of K3 and above, to practice minimum any two of the active learning process, online tutorial, assignment, case studies etc.
- Course outcomes with the level of K2, in addition to test, any one of the other assessments may be considered to ensure the basic concepts understanding. Use google forms to conduct quiz, MCQs etc, on key topics.
- For each course outcome, schedule for conducting other assessments should be planned.
- Assignments should not be either copy-type from other assignments or reproduction of the existing materials and have to confirm the learning level of the students. It may be of class assignment, individual topic or group assignment.
- Tutorial problems should be of think and do level and/or open ended problems type.
- Open book test, case studies, etc., are also for higher level CO assessments.
- Appropriate, possible, manageable and optimum number of assessment methods should be chosen. The number of assessment methods for course outcomes should be proportional to the level of the course outcomes.
- Target and threshold should be meaningful. It should reflect the significance and hardness of course outcomes.
Implementing and Monitoring
- Immediately after the formation of LMS of the courses, each course instructor should share it with co-instructors, HOD, and Dean (FD).
- HODs should monitor the progress of academic activities periodically and ensure that the content delivery methods and assessments methods against each course outcome are correctly followed as per the plan.
- Immediately after the completion of delivery for each course outcome and before the start of next course outcome, the other assessments for the particular course outcome should be completed.
- Immediately after the evaluation of internal assessment tests, evaluation of the particular course outcomes should be completed and declared to students along with internal marks earned. (I test – CO1, II test – CO2,3, III test – CO4,5)
- Before the last working day, evaluation of the all course outcomes should be completed and internal marks should be declared to students.
- Within one week of the last working day, by forming department level committee to audit the LMS to verify the quality of the process and to check for all the necessary documents are in the order as per the course file check list.
Content Delivery Methods
Passive Learning Methods
Lecture, Lecture with Discussion, Quiz, Viva, Demonstration, Tutorial, Assignments (New Situation), Mini Project, Group Discussion, Brain Storming, Asynchronous Discussion, Case studies, Debate, Major Project, Product, Journal Publication, etc.
Active Learning Methods
Think-pair-share, Formulate-Share-Create-Revise, Mud cards, Recitation/Ticking, Gallery walk, Problem based learning, Project based learning, Blended learning, Jigsaw learning, etc.
Controlled Test, Quiz, Viva, Notes taking, Tutorial, Assignments, Laboratory, Mini project, uncontrolled test, Group Discussion, Brain Storming, Case studies, Tutorials, Mini/Major Project, Seminar presentation, Project, Product, Journal Publication, etc.
Guidelines for choosing content delivery and assessment process
|S.No||K Level||Appropriate Content Delivery Methods||Appropriate Assessment Methods|
|1||K1||Lecture, Quiz||Controlled Test, Quiz|
|2||K2||Lecture with Discussion, Viva, Demonstration||Viva, Notes taking, Controlled Test|
|3||K3||Lecture with Discussion, Tutorial, Assignments (New Situation), Think-pair-share.||Tutorial, Assignments, Laboratory, Controlled Test (to some extend)|
|4||K4||Tutorial, Assignments (New Situation), Mini Project, Group Discussion, Brain Storming, Asynchronous Discussion||Tutorial, Assignments, Laboratory, Mini project, uncontrolled test, Group Discussion, Brain Storming|
|5||K5||Assignments, Case studies, Brain Storming, Debate, Tutorials, Major Project||Case studies, Tutorials, Mini/Major Project, Seminar presentation|
|6||K6||Project, Product, Journal Publication||Project, Product, Journal Publication|